Location of the Cottages

Calheta is one of the oldest parishes of the island and one of the first to be explored by the primitive colonizers. Founded on the 1st of June 1502.

Besides its attractive location, Calheta – which actually means “small beach” in Portuguese – has an old sugar cane factory, founded in 1901 and still producing sugar cane honey and “aguardente” (sugar cane spirit).

Calheta is also famous for the wide variety of fish to be found in its coastal waters.